New York City’s local heroes have had a long legacy on which to stand, and they are deeply beloved in their home city. To this day, the photograph of Skyscraper Joe struggling to prevent the second Trade Center Tower’s collapse to give his team and emergency response personnel time to try and rescue civilians remains one of the enduring images of the 9/11 tragedy. It has been several years since then and the team’s resolve to protect their metropolis – and, to a lesser extent, the rest of the Atlantic coast – has only strengthened.
The Alphas keep a steady roster and are headquartered in downtown New York, on the top floors of the Jamison-Landsing Skyscraper.
- Ultra: The Alphas’ field leader, Ultra is strong, fast, and possessed of limited precognition – which he uses to better coordinate his team. A hero in the most diehard sense of the word, Ultra is willing to put everything on the line to save civilians, and has turned down an offer to join the Homefront three times, due to feeling that Superheroes should be heroes, not clowns for the media.
- Skyscraper Joe: Harlem’s local hero, Joseph Walker – “Skyscraper Joe” – was a beat cop who discovered he could grow to almost sixty feet tall, with strength and resilience proportionate to his size. Willingly putting himself in harm’s way came naturally to Joe, and he quickly became one of New York’s most beloved sons.
- Doctor Chronos: A brilliant physicist who discovered how to knock herself loose from time, Doctor Chronos elected to use her power to pursue a lifelong dream of being a hero. Completely incorporeal when ‘out of shift’, Doctor Chronos makes up for relatively lacking combat skills with a sharp mind and snap tactical judgement. She also works extensively with Technocrat, pooling their collective geniuses, though both actively deny rumors of romantic involvement.
- Technocrat: A genius inventor and gadgeteer, the Technocrat is always building new armors and devices. Many of his inventions have gone on to revolutionize the fields of microcomputers, telecommunications and medicine, but his real passion remains using his tools to defend and improve the lives of New York’s citizenry.
- Synth: No one is strictly sure where the “urban avatar” called Synth comes from, and she’s not forthcoming with any details. Cold as the concrete and glass she is apparently made of, Synth nevertheless cares tremendously about the city’s well being – including the citizens that make up its lifeblood.
- Loudmouth: A former radio shock jock who discovered he could turn his voice into a superweapon, Loudmouth seems an odd choice for the Alphas. However, despite his abrasive personality and occasional ideological clashes with his teammates, Loudmouth really does have the heart of a hero and the dedication to defending New York against whatever threats may befall it.
- The Avenger: Not techincally a formal member of the Alphas, the Avenger nevertheless has aided them on multiple occasions. A vigilante in nondescript fatigues and a ski mask, nobody knows who the Avenger is, but his mission is clear – the Avenger has made himself the enemy of every street gang and organized crime syndicate in the city by waging a one man crusade of destruction against them, and seems determined to leave every last thug in New York a broken and bloodied man in police custody to secure his victory. Perhaps not even a superhuman, the Avenger has nevertheless gone toe to toe with supervillians with almost contemptible ease.